In yogic language the yogic stretches are called as sushma vyayama. It is a practice which involves each internal organs, nerves, muscle and joints of the body. Yogic stretching is very powerful as it accelerates subtle energy channels. It also prevents and cures many ailments and increases the strength, vigour and functioning of all the different organs and different systems of the body. It involves a particular sequence of breathing throughout the stretching.
These short exercises open up subtle energy channels of the body and, in a short session of 15 minutes, all the stiffness in your joints will release and your body will become flexible, strong, awake, and all set for the day’s activities. You will, undoubtedly, feel a tangible difference. It is very sensitive, scientific, powerful, and yet so simple. Practice yogic stretches and bring health, vitality, wellbeing into your life.
1) Neck Movement:
- Gently breath in and while breathing out turn your neck to the right side slowly.
- Then breath in and bring your neck to starting position and while breathing out turn your neck to the left side.
- Now, breathe in back to the previous position and while breathing out lower your head, touching the chin on the collar bone.
- Breath in and head back to the previous position. Breath out and look up and feel the stretch on your throat.
- Breath in and come back to starting position. Do this 3 times slowly.
2) Arm Movement:
- Stand straight. While inhaling lift your left arm sideways over shoulder level. Palm facing downward.
- Exhale and bring the left arm down beside the thigh but should not touch the thigh.
- Do the same with another arm. Repeat 3-5 times.
- Now, do with both arms together. Lift both of them while inhaling and bring them down while exhaling.
- Repeat 5 times.
3) Shoulder Movement:
- Lift both the arm sideways, parallel to the ground.
- Now start rotating the arms from the shoulder joint slowly in a circular motion from front to back.
- When the arms are moving from the frontside to the upward direction, then inhale.
- When the arms are moving in the downward direction from the backside, exhale
- Continue 10 times and do the reverse rotation, that is back to the front direction.
- Cup your fingers and bending the elbow, keep fingers on the shoulder.
- Try to bring both the elbows close to each other in front of the body and while inhaling move the elbows up, then back, and while exhaling move them down and bring front.
- This way start moving them in a circular motion. Do 5 times and do the reverse side too.
4) Waist Movement:
- Stand straight. While inhaling raise both arms straight over your head. Palm facing front direction.
- Then exhale and slowly bend forward from the waist. Gently, try to touch the toes without bending the knees. Hold for 5 seconds.
- Slowly inhale and straighten the body coming back to the previous position. Exhale and bend backward slowly. Do not bend too much.
- Inhale and back to the previous position. Exhale hands down. Repeat 2-3 times slowly.
- Now, left hand on waist, while inhaling raise only right hand.
- Exhale and bend the torso from waist to left side. Inhale and come back to the previous position.
- Do the same for another side too. Repeat 2-3 times slowly.
- Take distance in between the feet. Do alternate toe touch 10 – 20 times slowly. While going down exhale and vice versa.
- You can do trunk twisting also. Take distance in between the feet, lifting both arms sideways on shoulder level (Inhale). While exhaling twist to the left side without moving the feet from the ground. Inhale and come back to the center. Repeat in the other direction.
5) Leg Movement:
- Stand straight. Inhale deeply and while exhaling bend your knees bring your hands in front parallel to the ground and come to the squat position.
- Hold for 5 – 10 seconds. Do 3-5 rounds. (If you have knee pain then avoid it).
6) Ankle Movement:
- Stand straight, keeping your hands on your waist.
- Lift one leg 6-8 inches above the floor and rotate the ankle clockwise & anticlockwise.
- Repeat the same with the other leg.
- You can move the ankle up-down and sideways direction as well.
It energises the body instantaneously. Every day 10-15 minutes of slow yogic stretching or loosening practice from neck to toe with breathing is very beneficial for our health. This stimulates the whole-body muscles as the muscles get innervated by the associated nerves. So, the yogic stretching relaxes the body and mind too. It can be followed by Savasana for few minutes.